Monday, March 19, 2018

Chapter 14

The Third Life and Thereafter – 6

 

“… … M-my Lady!!”

 

Along with the loud echo of the door being thrown open, I heard the scream of a man.

My eyes moved from the head of golden hair at the tip of my field of vision to the other corner of the room where a boy was standing.

Now, what time is it? What was I doing? Why was Crow in that place?

Due to the medicine, my consciousness was cloudy and I couldn’t collect my thoughts.

Crow sprawling on the bed together with me, when was it again? A few hours ago? A few days ago? Or was it several months before? How much time has passed since then?

 

“Aaah! Aaah! Oh God…! Oh God…!”

 

Suddenly a floating sensation at the bottom of my stomach made me feel uncomfortable.

Understanding I was held up in someone’s arms, I tried to move my legs to resist but I couldn’t. Because the bed sheets were wrapped around me.

Maybe because the man who was lamenting over something was trembling and sobbing convulsively, his heartbeat that was echoing in my ears was particularly fast. 

 

“For you to be in such a place…!! Let’s go home, my lady…!”

 

Being called my lady several times made me feel painfully nostalgic and I remembered that even I had a time when I was called like that.

The fact that this man’s voice sounded familiar was probably not my imagination.

 

“A…l… ?”

“!”

 

When I muttered that name, the big arms that were supporting my body shook greatly. 

 

“I’ve come... to pick you up, my lady… that I’m so late, I’m really, truly... sorry. I’m so sorry…!”

 

While looking at Al’s face, who kept bitterly apologizing for his mistakes as he grinded his teeth in mortification, I thought of the months and years that had passed by.

The Al who was a young man that I remembered was no longer here.

“Let’s go home, my lady…” hoarsely whispered Al in a soft voice to soothe me.

As if going home was the natural thing to do.

            

Going home, go, home, ho-me?

I bent my neck while mouthing that foreign vocabulary whose meaning I utterly couldn’t comprehend.

For me there was no place I could return to.

Where on earth does he intend to take me to? After all this time, where on earth?

In that state, which was like being restrained, I could only let my eyes wander around the room and when they reached its corner, they captured the figure of Crow as he was concealing his breath.

 

“Cr (ow),”

 

I tried to call out his name but I swallowed down my words.

I don’t know his name yet. The boy has not said his name even once.

When I blurred out air instead of words, Crow, aware of my unsaid call or not, put a thin smile on his lips and said,

            

… Good for you, right?

            

It certainly sounded like a voice, but Al didn’t notice and was about to leave the room.

No, that’s not it. It’s not that he didn’t notice, rather Al couldn’t see Crow’s figure at all.

 

“… A…l, wa…it, wait…”

“It’s alright. My lady, you have nothing to fear. Your room was left as it was. Everything stayed in the same place. You can go back to your previous life, as if nothing happened.”

“Wr…ong...”

 

That’s wrong, Al. That’s not what I’m trying to say.

Wait, please. I want to talk to Crow.

I can’t go anywhere. Put me down, please, put me down.

            

Because of my illness, every single one of my organs was not fulfilling its function properly.

I didn’t even have enough strength to vibrate my vocal cords. When I tried to raise my voice, my lungs felt like they were torn apart.

And so, I couldn’t voice my feelings and transmit the words I wanted to say. They probably won’t reach Al who looked like he was murmuring to himself in indignation.

All I could do was direct my sight toward the inside of the filthy little room that was getting farther and farther away, towards Crow who was looking at me from there.

His pitch-dark, pitch-black eyes that looked like they were refusing to reflect even light were appealing for something. Seeing this expression, I gained conviction.

            

Determining my identity, locating Al, telling him my whereabouts, that was all Crow’s doing…      

 

“Wait, Al, that child, Cro(w)… is… he’s… that’s child too… him too…”

 

Take him along. As if to deny those words, the door of the room was vigorously opened.

I could only look over Al’s shoulder as Crow was left behind.

 

“Al… Al…”

“It’s alright my lady. Now, everything is going to be alright.”

 

Al, who wasn’t aware of anything replied in a gentle tone. But not a single word that I wanted to say, not a single meaning I wanted to convey was transmitted to him.

I think he probably wanted to leave this place as quickly as possible. And he took the initiatives needed to do so.

Al, who loudly shut the door, probably didn’t have any ill will, but for me that action was like venting your anger about losing the place you could go back to.

Over that closed-door Crow is here. If he wanted to, it would be easy for Crow to leave this brothel.

But he will not come out. I understood he will not come out and chase after me.

            

I saw his faintly quivering lips curve up in a little smile and say, “Good for you.” They were surely his parting words.

My arm that escaped from the restraints of the sheets reflexively stretched toward the door.

My nails that Crow had trimmed short rubbed against the surface of the thin door.

“…I never said, I wanted you to help me…” Even if I barely managed to utter those words, they’ll no longer reach Crow.

The me in my previous life had certainly asked Crow to lend her his help. But, I, the present me, had never asked for help.

Because it was fine to continue like this. It was fine to die like this with no one knowing about it.

Because I believed that Crow would surely stay beside me until the very end.  

            

As long as his figure was there, everything would have been fine.

            

… … And yet, why?

 

*************************

 

I felt around the gap between the fluffy sheets with my dried fingertips.

Rolling my eyeballs, which had almost become completely useless, I was expecting to find black hair and wanted to remove them from the stainless clothes.

His black hair that didn’t possess any temperature felt pleasantly nice and cold. At some point I had started wanting to touch it because it made me feel comfortable.

I wanted to ascertain that sensation again.     

 

“Big sister…?”

 

Right beside me, catching her breath, my lovely little sister called out to me in an imploring tone. In my blurred field of vision, the nostalgic colors of her white face and silver hair were reflected.

However, I couldn’t see clearly enough to read her expression. I could only guess she was surely making a worried one. 

I’m sorry, I’ve made you worry. 

That’s what I thought, but I couldn’t put it into words. Only a long breath could leak through the gap between my dried lips.

A considerate maid wiped my lips with moisturized cotton, but that action was meaningless. The inside of my mouth was hot like it was burning.

 

I already knew that my end was drawing near.

 

“…”

“What? Big sister, what have you said?”

 

When Al took me away from the brothel, I thought it was surely to take me back to the earl’s estate, but for some reason I was carried to the marquis’s mansion.

There, Soleil and Silvia, together with their children, were waiting for my arrival.

         

The cave-like-brothel where I had been was in a remote region, far away from the marquis’s and our earl’s houses where my family lived.  

It was strange to think that such a lawless area existed in our country. In other words, it was a slum.

It seemed that Al had been looking for me all those years, but he lamented over the fact that no matter where he went, he couldn’t catch hold of my whereabouts.

During the journey to return to the marquis’s mansion, he cried so many times, grieving and asking why he couldn’t find me sooner.

Everything was brought on me due to my egotistical motive, Al hadn’t committed the slightest wrongdoing, and yet when I conveyed this to him in broken and disconnected words, it seemed it didn’t bring him any consolation.

Apologizing seemed to only depress him even further.

            

Although we arrived at the mansion after several weeks of travel spent in that mood, at that time, I was already on the verge of death.

Immediately the private doctor of the marquis house came to examine me, but he diagnosed that nothing could be done anymore.

I felt I heard his voice guessing that I had a few days left at best. 

 

“Big sister, can you hear me? I heard that... Soleil had something he wanted to talk to you about for a bit…”

 

I could no longer move the tips of my fingers, I could just shift my darkening sight and when I did so, I certainly felt that a person who appeared to be Soleil was looking over me.

They were emotionless eyes like thin ice. Those eyes I felt in love with were beside me.

But even when I tried to focus, I couldn’t read his expression. I could no longer distinct anything with my weak eyes.  

 

“… Ilya, the whole time… I’ve hated you… …”

 

At the edge of my field of vision, stood two small shadows that should be their children.

I wonder if they were worried for their parents. At the time I was brought to this mansion, the ones who showed the most discomfort were those two.

Even though I could hardly see their expressions, I understood this quite clearly. I had the feeling they harbored wariness toward the unknown person who suddenly appeared.

I could comprehend why they wouldn’t accept a measly prostitute who, even as a form of flattery, couldn’t be called a noble female servant. Even if she was their mother’s blood related big sister.

Besides Silvia, Soleil and also Al, no one could prove my identity. My appearance has probably totally changed.

Yet, because Soleil and Silvia had received me as the person called Ilya, they had to accept this fact.

I guess the reason the earl house didn’t receive me, was surely because my parent’s anger hasn’t lessened.

I probably had been stripped of my position of being an earl’s daughter when I ran away.  

 

“You were suddenly gone, and I thought you betrayed me. From our childhood, you were at my side, because we had sworn to become a married couple eventually. When you abandoned your duty and ran away, I was engulfed by hatred, thinking you were a heartless woman.

Do you know how hurt I was when Silvia told me you probably had someone you loved…? While you had promised to become my spouse, you didn’t trust me enough to confide all that distress to me.”

 

That was right. I had disclosed such a thing to Silvia. That I had someone I loved. That for his sake, I could do anything.

That person was Soleil though, but. … … Ah, I see. My escape led them to connect those thoughts like this.

 

“Because you were clever, you probably noticed. That I didn’t love you. But, for that exact reason, I thought we could make things work well as husband and wife. With affection and friendship, I believed we could build a harmonious relationship over time.”

 

Soleil’s words, which were like a monologue, resounded inside the quiet room.

 

“All those future prospects, everything, was crushed by your departure.”

 

The more I thought about it, the more I thought I hated you. So, even if I knew it was really difficult for you, who were from a noble family, to live in the streets, I deliberately left you alone. Soleil cut his words at this point.

            

I wonder if he wanted to say that I had reaped what I sowed. 

            

I understood well what Soleil was trying to say. For him, his life was naturally his first and his last.

He simply fell in love with Silvia, but he didn’t betray me. He didn’t love me, but at least, as my fiancé, he tried to face me as sincerely as he could.

That’s why he found the time to come and meet me. For that sake, he often appeared when Silvia and I were studying.

Actually, it may have been only to see Silvia, but still, he didn’t do anything unfaithful.

The one who betrayed was me, so the one who was hated was also me. No matter how many times Soleil betrays me in my accumulating lives, no matter how many times Silvia stoles the person I love from me, no matter how many times I end up with a violent death, it is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the him in my current life.

Because he doesn’t know. He doesn’t know we can’t achieve the ideals he pictured in his mind.

He doesn’t know that something like getting along well as a married couple... is impossible.  

 

“Still now… I’m grateful to you. Because thanks to what you did I could build a family with Silvia……”

 

Soleil’s voice was getting farther and farther away.

Unlike the other lives, this time is different. Soleil is beside me, my little sister is here too. It’s different from the time I died alone in despair while hearing the voice of a newborn. It’s different from the time I chose to die by my own hands with a rope.

It was not a prison there, I didn’t suffer torture either.

Overlooked by a stainless ceiling, gently wrapped in a brand-new bed, I wasn’t freezing to death.

            

But, I should have died at that time when those black eyes were gently watching over me.

I didn’t want to die like this. In this place where everything is here, but there is nothing.

            

The hand that I held was cold, it didn’t transmit any warmth to my lukewarm body, but I didn’t need anything else.

In that room where there was nothing, but surely, everything was there.

            

Crow.

Crow.

Why, are you not here now… …

 

************************

 

“… Lady Ilya? What happened?”

 

I heard a soft and nice voice and turned around.

Shaking her luxuriant blond hair, Marianne frowned.

 

“… Ah, it’s those two again…”

           

When we went to the school cafeteria for lunch, that place was a bit noisy. Looking in the direction of the commotion, I saw my fiancé and my little sister, who were walking close together.

As I was absentmindedly following their figures with my eyes, I heard whispering voices saying the two of them suited each other. For Lord Soleil, rather than Lady Ilya, her little sister Lady Silvia was more suitable.

            

Marianne, who had come together with me for lunch, followed my line of sight and saw them.

 

“Lady Ilya, as expected, isn’t it going a bit too far?”

 

Implicitly, with a tinge of criticism, she was asking me if Silvia’s conduct as a daughter of a noble was not good. She was indeed walking close to a man who had a fiancée.

Even if no one taught you, you should have known that such behavior was not a praiseworthy thing.

However,

 

“… My little sister has a weak body, and because of it, she wasn’t taught much about social etiquette…”

 

It was my role to say that and back her up. Because I was her big sister.

 

“Lady Ilya, as expected, I’m getting tired of hearing that excuse. Besides, since you haven’t noticed it, I’ll dare say this…”

“?”

“Your face looks as if you’re about to cry you know.”

 

Marianne’s slender hand swept away my own hand, which was tightly grasping a cup of tea on the table.

 

“Is it really alright to leave it as it is now?”

 

Don’t you love Lord Soleil?

            

I was hard pressed by her reply, which was uttered softly wrapped in gentleness.

The previous me certainly was in love with Soleil. And the me of the current life too, at the time she met Soleil, she fell in love with him.

After that tea party, I couldn’t say that my love for him collapsed after watching Soleil and Silvia fall in love in front of my very eyes.

            

But.

But, something was not right.

Something... was different.



Chapter 13                                             Chapter 15

Nocta’s thoughts:

 

“… Ilya, the whole time… I’ve hated you… …”

 

The first time I read the story, I found it difficult not to hate Soleil. It’s complex, because like Ilya says, in this life he felt betrayed by her and it’s normal for him to hate her, but because we’ve seen all the other lives, we know it’s him who betrays her again and again. It can’t be helped; he doesn’t love her. But it can’t be helped, I still hated him.

The author surely intended to make the readers feel negative emotions toward him. And then, she wrote the next arc.

The next arc is one of the things that made me want to read the raw and fight with Google Trad for them. Now that I’ve become better at Japanese, the story is more interesting to read and translate. Enjoy!

34 comments:

  1. I can totally relate as I did the same thing. But at some point I had to stop cause I thought that someone will some day come and translate this.

    While we all hate Solei he also has his fair share of hardships after all he can't be with the one that he loves but that is no excuse for his behavior in this nor his previous lives. He himself is well aware that his conduct is not acceptable as a noble but still goes through with it. He also should be aware that she forcibly kept all the other women away from him and therefore should have realized that she was in love with him and not anybody else. He thinks that he is doing everything that is expected of him as a fiancee and therefore thinks he is doing everything the right way. He never realized how much he hurt her and that he is partly to blame for her departure as well. He sees himself as a good husband/fiancee and legitimizes himself as the sole victim even in front of her current state. As a man he failed to make her feel secure which combined with her previous lives resulted in this outcome (granted he really can't know about all those previous lives so that is not his fault).
    Her sister on the other side I understand no matter how much I want to deny it. She just as the MC thought that he is her only way out of that hell she is living in. Iria is hated by her family and in most of her lives didn't seem to have real friends nor a good relationship with her servants (understandably she has to keep them at distance as is demanded form a proper noble lady) and her sister lived her entire life with depression and no light in sight despite the warm atmosphere around her. She maybe felt like a burden for her surroundings. For both of them Solei was most likely prince charming that leads them out of their respective sad lives. Yes, she betrayed her own sister but she I still can sympathize with her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep exactly. I honestly do not feel pity towards Soliel because his hardships could have been communicated. He is an adult and he is capable of compromisng. There is no excuse for cheating or doing this behind your fiancee's back just because your emotions are "passionate or real" It's crazy how much he gaslights or victim blames MC and NO hardship justifies getting to this point. He lacks empathy for everybody except his lover.

      Same for the sister. I sympathize with her a bit more, but it doesn't excuse her actions. She genuinely loves MC, but she is also constantly stealing something from her and never acknowledging how much it hurts MC simply because it worked out/already happened. Just like how she brushed off her pregnancy, she is always expecting to be forgiven when she never repents. She may love her sister but it has no meaning if she spends her life torturing her.

      Delete
  2. She couldn't even die in the place she wants to die, and be subjected to a last stab to the heart, by the cold dagger of Soleil and the warm loving dagger of her sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She couldn't even die in the place she wants to die, and be subjected to a last stab to the heart, by the cold dagger of Soleil and the warm loving dagger of her sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop just stop. He had no right to hate her after the BS he had pulled. I agree with Nocta, this man is absolutely despicable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She... She wanted to die with crow beside her... That's so relieving, she finally has someone like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the deepest pit of hell, she only wished for someone to hold her hand...

    ReplyDelete
  7. nah i gotta say, i hate the sister - in every life she knowingly falls for the dude and betrays her sister. KNOWINGLY. that one life she even got pregnant - she knows what she's doing is wrong and is a huge betrayal but does it all anyway.
    that other life she tells her sister that she loved the dude when she was sick was also such a b*tch move - she's flippin dying - she should know her own sister well enough to know how much she cares for her.
    SHe had no right to cry - she was completely in the wrong by hiding the relationship after kNOWING is was MUTUAL
    Im not even gonna talk about the dude

    ReplyDelete
  8. idgaf soleil is utter trash. like boy how dare you? -reigning in my huge rant- he's a selfish shit who thinks he can use a girl who he knows is deeply in love with him for a good loveless political marriage while he openly not only pines for but pursues and even cheats on her with her very own little (shit) sister. they're eternal trash. giving me hope with the second arc! please let ilya eventually find happiness! thanks for transing~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. She only wants a hand to hold. Is that really a sin?

    ReplyDelete
  10. well it's a relieving fact that Soleil is not our Male Lead (I assume, hope I'm right)... Mixed feelings about this. On the other hand I understand Soleil reasoning but he still a douchebag saying that he hated her!!! He said that to a dying person! *facepalm* CAN U NOT SUGARCOAT ATLEAST

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yah! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY YOU HATE HER!! After all of what you have done to her?! If only....if only you know what you done to her in her past lives....if only you know, then you won't be saying that!😭 I despise you so much🤬

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ironically, the life w/c she had the best chance for a happy end was the life she suffered the longest, both mentally and physically. MCs actions and narration was pretty much biased since she was traumatized by her past lives. She firmly believed that her fiance would choose the younger sister regardless of all the circumstances. That is why she probably missed the point that in 'that' life, her fiance didn't think badly of her because she got along with her younger sister. Her younger sister didn't have to depend on her fiance because her main supporter was the MC, fiance didn't have the need to protect the lil sister either. Lil sis can even be married off to other high-ranked noble if their family wanted since she was trained by MC. She probably will leave the MC's fiance if she herself was happy about her own life. But since MC ran away, everything went haywire. You can pretty much sense the feelings of betrayal the fiance felt when MC ran away. He probably had a mental breakdown, afterall, there was no reason for him to hate her at this point, yet she left him without saying a word. You could say that in this life, she was the one who broke their mutual trust and got herself in the worst case scenario...just imagine how their lives could have been if she did not abandon the wedding...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought the same thing. But, then, i also kinda understood why the MC took that path. Just imagine how much grieve and pain and desperation acvumulated as she saw that no matter what and no matter how, the endings will always be the same which is for that sick bitch and the douchebag to betray her in the end, one way or another. Even in that timeline, which she harbor relatively good relation with her sister which ended with her sister got pregnant. Even on that last time, her sister didn't even show any care to looking for her, or even show any guilt feeling when she was together with douchebag. She clearly enjoyed her life without Ilya. So, i guess, it will still be the same even if she stayed, it will only prolong the stories, that's all

      Delete
  13. This whole novel is rather depressing but I can't stop reading until I get her good ending. Gosh! Thank you for all the hardwork in translating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. never have i cried so much for a novel. It has only chapter 14 but I have been crying since chapter 3. I just want MC to have a happy ending...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow fuckin asshole seriously she almost die atleast tell her sweet lie
    (She knew that a lie but atleast give some effort) ...
    frecking scumbag should die with that bitch
    what kind Hell is this and what sin she do to deserve this

    ReplyDelete
  16. Damn if I were her on my deathbed and he said that to me I would've been like, "You and I both know this is what you wanted (being married to Sylvia) so instead of giving me lip about betrayal how about a 'thank you' instead bitch? Acting all high and mighty for your stupid ego" but alas I'm not in love with this ass.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Idk how many bad-word that come from my mouth. This chapter really got my weakness and I don't know exactly words that could express my thought now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Finally she knows that there’s someone who is always looking after her. Although I don’t know why crow showed up so late but there must be a reason as to why he can’t meddle in her life and has to just watch her from afar. It also seems that Ilya is finally slightly moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Damnnit she just wanted to die peacefully with crow beside her

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought that past life with her committing suicide couldnt get worse and then BAM we have this. We literally saw her slowly break apart emotionally, physically, and mentally. When she started gaslighting herself, gods my broken heart disintegrated. i knew she was a goner. She literally didnt even expect a happy life at that point. All she wanted was to have someone beside her on her deathbed. At least someone whos not secretly happy shes dying. god i hate that sister and that fiance.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shit. I REALLY HATE SOLEIL. He Just want a reason to Ilya because his marrying syilva. HE EVEN blaming her because ran away. I WISH SOLEIL GET DIED.

    ReplyDelete
  22. just who is crow? im getting wanna know more about him, im curious just what kind of being is he? does anyone knows ?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just want her to be happy.....or at least die peacefully with Al and Crow beside her and without having to continue this stupid loop, this is literally my first time crying because of a novel...

    ReplyDelete
  24. In this life, Soleil couldn't help hating her. She set up this life in this way by saying she had someone she loved to Silvia. But this is exactly what he's been doing in all her previous lives. He was more appropriately considerate of her in this life, mainly because Silvia was closer to her this time. But he has unfaithfully married her without any feeling of even affection or friendship over and over again, estranging her completely. When they were married as complete strangers, he blamed her of killing her own sister with no proof. When she protected her sis, he abandoned her child and went to the sick Silvia. When she became nice to both of them, he cheated on her and Silvia became pregnant, pushing her to end it all. With the guise of marrying a woman, he always ends up estranging her for his little sister. Even if he didn't do anything wrong in particular this time, he thinks Ilya is annoying if she can't accept all his actions/feelings and does not like anyone who goes against him. He's a brat to everyone but Silvia, a spoiled person who needs to go thro some hardships in his life; cause his empathy and eq levels are certainly too freakin low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say it louder and clear. Soleil needs to get bitch slapped by this truthful comment. There's no excuse to back up by him being an asshole in all her previous lives.

      Delete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OhOH WAIT, I HAVE HOPE. She said "something´s different", SO, I HAVE HOPE. Crow, OHCROW, I want to know more about him so bad! PLEASE LET ME KNOW HIM AAAAAAH.

    ReplyDelete
  27. crow , please show up

    ReplyDelete
  28. Unnecessary Theory: Crow is Soliel...

    ReplyDelete
  29. What she does know is that her sister is not innocently doing this. It’s very clear to me she goes after him and well there’s something not right about what she goes to him.

    I want her exposed

    ReplyDelete