Saturday, August 18, 2018

Chapter 33

If this is the real end – 16

 

In one of my lives, I stole a novel from father’s study.

It was apparently a story with father and Silvia’s mother as the protagonists. There weren’t many characters in this book. The princess of the neighboring country and the knight chosen to protect her. … …And also, the maid the princess had taken along with her from her home country.

Naturally, the story didn’t have only these three characters, but the ones that left a deep impression in my memory were only them. However, while it was natural for the two main characters to remain in my memory, on the contrary, it was strange how I couldn’t forget the maid, a supporting character whose name was never said.

It was an ordinary servant and her physical appearance wasn’t even described. She didn’t accomplish many things in the story. In the first place, I didn’t even know what the role assigned to her was.

The only thing that was made clear about her, was the fact she was the person the princess had personally hand-picked and taken out of her home country. 

 

“That maid might have been a bit pitiful but… I wonder if she was doing fine?”

 

The person who had muttered these words as their line of sight was lost in the horizon, was the author of this novel.

The truth about this novel I heard from the author had been almost completely similar to my predictions. The knight described in the novel was my father, the princess of the neighboring country was Silvia’s mother. In reality, it wasn’t “the neighboring country” but a more distant one.

Anyway, they had sacrificed their body, their heart, their everything to this forbidden love. It was a predestinated, tragic, heart-moving passion.

Right. That’s probably why their love became a story. Readers could dream of them.

Although the characters in the book experienced turns and twists, they were finally wedded and swore to spend eternity together. It was an ending that made you think happiness was surely waiting for them ever after.

 

… … But, unlike the story, in the real world, father and the princess didn’t get tied together.

Because the princess returned to her country.

 

“In the first place, because she had run away from the civil war occurring in her home country, it was decided from the beginning that she would come back once it had settled. She was only a young girl, but she was unmistakably a member of royalty. From the moment she was born, she had to bear the responsibility of a person descending from the royal family. She definitely couldn’t run away from this. After returning to her country, her official duty as a member of the royal family was waiting for her.”

 

Therefore, due to the difference in their social positions, the knight and the princess couldn’t be wedded.

If you wanted to summarize everything plainly, that’s what happened, but the situation must have been more complex. “However, it’s something that couldn’t be helped” had said the author with a sigh.

The problem was what happened afterward.  

 

“The princess, who had to return to her country, didn’t allow the man she loved to marry another woman.”

 

The woman who spat out a laugher that resembled a sneer was undoubtedly very familiar with them.

Whether she had guessed my doubts or not, I remembered the author telling me about a social gathering for writers. And that one could get various information there. I didn’t know if that place truly existed, I thought she might only have said that randomly.

For a book she said she had written from gossip and information obtained from other people, it was awfully detailed.

It would rather make more sense for her to claim to be a person who used to be involved with them. But I respected her will to not reveal her background. Because what was important was not who she was, but what the meaning behind the story she had written was.  

 

“The princess thought like this: rather than having her beloved knight snatched away by a woman whose name and face she wouldn’t know… then it was better to have him marry her own substitute.”   

 

She narrated with loquacity. She insisted it was only a supposition and absolutely not the truth.

But she continued and said that the woman who married the knight as the princess’s substitute, might have been carrying another duty. Maybe, that other responsibility was even more important.

 

“It must have been... to monitor everything.”

 

It was the answer I had already guessed from the flow of her story.

I myself, wasn’t simply living as the elegant daughter of a noble family. It wasn’t like I couldn’t understand how difficult a position they were placed in, or how they were influenced by the expectations of the people around them.

The real ending of the princess and the knight, which hadn’t been written in the novel, was far from a happy one.

If you closed your ears at this point, you could end the story here with a dream-like ending. You could probably claim with a loud voice that true love wasn’t restrained by social barriers.

However, reality was never that sweet.

 

“A monitoring person was necessary to make sure the knight would not err from his path and fail to keep his promise. That was probably not something the princess herself wished for. But the people who knew the circumstances of the two well, made sure the knight never crossed the country’s borders even by mistake.”

“… Cross the country’s borders?”

“It was likely he would go to her country to elope with the princess, or to take her away by force, right? Because after all, that’s how much he loved her.”

 

It was impossible to know what kind of mess could make a person who had embraced the thought it was alright to throw away everything and anything.

And that’s precisely why a tie was needed, the author had told me. In other words, “something” was necessary in order to prevent my father from moving around easily.

It was for this reason that this extremely selfish princess’s wish to present another woman as her own substitute was granted. But it probably wasn’t a bad agreement for both father and the princess.

If the woman chosen as the substitute was a person related to the princess, through this woman, it would be possible to secretly report each other’s current situation. 

           

In that way, the princess gave a woman to the knight as her substitute.

This person was the princess’s maid… … my mother.

                                                           

As the overseer of the knight who had fallen for the princess, mother ended up as the only person left behind in a foreign country.

Her wedding seemed to include the meaning she would never again step foot on the ground of her homeland. She was a pitiable person on whom was imposed the consequent responsibility and duty of what was called a “political marriage.”

That person who became a piece of the strategic game that politics were, offered her lifetime to the princess and the knight.

But if the story had stopped her, a faint hope could have bloomed for mother too. In fact, until just now, I had thought that father and mother were in mutual love.

No matter if at the beginning, it had been a political wedding like what would usually happen between nobles, after spending many years together, I never doubted my belief that an emotion akin to a deep affection had been born.

You could say that was how well they played the part of a close married couple. Everyone envied that couple that got along so well. Father was very affectionate to mother, mother loved and respected father.

There might not have been love at the beginning of their relation, but I had been convinced that the two of them had ended up being in love with each other.

 

**********************

 

In the dull dark sky that seemed to be smeared with a thin layer of ink, the toll of a bell reverberated.

In that place, the various people standing under the umbrellas held by servants avoided them and looked up.

Even though there was no music, they partly closed their eyes, seemingly impressed by the sound.

But I lowered my umbrella even more and bent down. I couldn’t pretend to be lost in strong emotions like them.

 

“It’s the sound of a departing soul.”

 

Someone softly muttered that.

A black coffin was carried in a corner of the vast garden of our earl’s estate. Even though the coffin could have been decorated with special ornaments, father seemed to have decided not to do so.

The bell continued to ring out as if it was dropping down on the glossy coffin. But naturally, the bell wasn’t ringing for mother’s sake. It would chime every day at the same time, it was a bell that announced the time for all the people who didn’t have enough money to buy a watch.

Ordinarily it was a sound I ignored, but only today, I heard it awfully clearly. I thought it was a gentle sound, it sounded like something hitting a glass.

Each time it echoed, the image of a glass being shattered to pieces again and again came to my mind. The sharp fragments seemed to pierce me here and there. In my arms, my feet, my face.

And so, in my eyes, my hands seemed to be dyed red.

 

“… Big sister.”     

 

The raindrops falling on the ground made the mud sullen my feet.

As I single-mindedly gazed at my dirtied feet, a shadow fell on my line of sight. When I raised my head, silver hair that seemed to be glittering despite the absence of sunlight entered my field of vision.

Under the umbrella held by a servant, my little sister was staring fixedly at me. Before us was mother’s coffin. It had already been closed and mother’s beloved roses were decorating it. On top of it, the merciless raindrops were falling incessantly and gliding down to the ground.

On the other side was father, receiving everyone’s condolences. The official explanation was that she had succumbed to an abrupt illness and the people who had come to visit seemed to believe it. In the first place they had no reason to doubt it.

The evaluation others had of mother was of a person who wasn’t involved in trouble or wouldn’t be hurt by others, not of someone who would choose to kill herself.

For the sake of father, who wanted a funeral as calm as possible, only a limited number of people came. But maybe due to mother’s popularity, you couldn’t say that only a small number of people had gathered.

They stood in front of father turn by turn, offering him words of comfort and compassion. The whispering voices blending in with the sound of rainfall reached my ears but I couldn’t catch the content of their conversation.

While I was thinking of how strange it was to not hear them despite the fact that I was so close, I suddenly noticed the bell had stopped ringing. But I was probably the only one who paid attention to that.

A dim rain had been falling since this morning, clouding my field of vision and blurring the scenery in a white mist, making the current scene look like something very distant.

 

“Is it true…? Sister.”

 

A drop of water was hanging on the silver eyelashes covering those purple eyes gazing straight at me. She was probably crying until just a while before. Just by seeing the redness at the corner of her eyes, I knew she was trying to endure something today.

Looking at me in the eyes and clearly urging me, she once again asked, “Is it true?”

Usually, her voice left behind a lovely reverberation that seemed to linger eternally, but today the impression it gave was different. As if it was dry, as if something was lacking…

If her voice had a temperature, then I thought that today it was cold. Her pale lips were the clear proof of it.

 

“Did you take from my room the tea mother had prepared for me?”

 

Although I felt like I was still wandering in the middle of a dream, I could understand Silvia’s words accurately.

Inside that nightmare I could never wake up from, the voice of my little sister was the only thing I perceived as something real.

 

“Big sister, you wouldn’t… do that, right?”

 

I sighed over the fact that the secret could no longer be kept in the mansion.

Did father talk to her, was it one of the maids who happened to be present, or did the chamberlain let something slip?

The servants were never allowed to chat about serious affairs that should not be disclosed, but this restriction would not apply if their conversation’s partner was Silvia.

That was because the first priority of this house was her. Someone had surely talked to her, thinking it was best to let her know. Your older sister is a thief.   

 

“… … Why?”

 

I questioned Silvia, who was staring at my face with uneasy eyes.

Why? She probably wasn’t expecting to be asked back a question. Taken aback, the face of my little sister solidified as she exclaimed, “…Eh?”

The fingers of my little sister, which had lost their aim, wandered in the air.

 

“Why... do you think so? That I didn’t steal your tea. Why... do you believe in me?”

 

I do not know who you heard that from, but the situation might be exactly as that person described, you know?

When I added this, Silvia’s eyes seemed to flip and open wide, distorting her looks. She had a beautiful face that seemed to have been created by a first-class craftsman after investing all his sincerity and diligence in his earnest work. This face was very similar to her mother’s.

 

“Because you wouldn’t do that big sister. You would definitively never, ever, do that. Everyone was saying you might have done something to mother, but...”

 

The end of her sentence wasn’t spoken out loud and disappeared amidst the sound of the rain.

As expected, father and the people in the estate were doubting me. I had been released from house arrest for today only as mother’s funeral was held.

But I didn’t know what would happen from tomorrow onwards.

I had only faced father in front of mother’s room and didn’t meet him since then. Although I had thought the steward or someone else would undoubtedly ask me about the details of mother’s death, it didn’t happen.

I thought they might already have drawn their conclusion.

 

“Big sister, I know that you truly are... a very kind person…”

 

The umbrella protecting the slender body of Silvia seemed much bigger than those held by the others. Maybe because of this, not many people noticed Silvia’s discreet crying voice.

Our sharp-eyed father had noticed his beloved daughter’s unusual behavior, but he was in the middle of receiving everyone’s condolences and couldn’t come here. He simply threw a sharp glare toward me.

However, we were at a funeral, it would be strange to show an excessive reaction to Silvia’s grieved appearance. Rather, you could say it was more natural that she mourned her departed mother.

And yet, just because it was “me” who was standing in front of Silvia, father appeared to harbor wariness. Even though I was also his daughter, it didn’t change anything. In his head, I was sure he was assuming that the severe older sister had said something cruel to the younger one.

Since when have things been like this?

No, possibly, it might have been the case since the beginning.

 

From the time we were born, we had been sisters who were not allowed to live and grow close together.

 

“…… What happened?”

 

I didn’t know since when he was here, but Soleil was standing near Silvia as if he was trying to peer into her face. He wasn’t holding an umbrella and there was no servant at his side.

Thinking he might have done so in order to reduce his distance with Silvia even a little, I watched over the two who stood close together.

The servant holding the umbrella took in the situation and tactfully bent the umbrella in the direction of Soleil, so they stood close enough for their shoulders to touch.

If he, who must have been giving his condolences to father just a while ago, had come here now, that must be because father had said something to him. He may have been requested to stay by Silvia’s side.

Although it’s such a time, although I knew it was my mother’s funeral… the presence of Soleil made my heart tighten.

 

“… Ilya?”

 

Even though my name was called, I couldn’t lift up my gaze.

Today, for this moment only, I didn’t want to see the two of them.

Soleil slightly stepped in front of Silvia as if to protect her and was looking at me, but I didn’t have the energy to ward off his gaze.

           

Even though I wanted to mourn mother’s death.

Even though I wanted to grieve about her death.

I couldn’t do it.

Then, because I didn’t know what to do while I was in such a state, I didn’t have the confidence to feign calmness in front of them.

 

“Sorry, Ilya.”

 

While blood was spilling from her lips, mother, on the verge of her death, had expressed an apology to me.

I recalled these words again and again.

Even though mother had been married off in this country like a human sacrifice, she had given birth to a child so that father could fulfill his duty as a noble.

She naturally didn’t have a say in this. It had been one of the obligations imposed on her. It was the job any woman married into an aristocratic family had to accomplish.

She served father as the substitute for his beloved princess and even had a child; no one could fathom what mother’s feelings were.

Under that composed smile of hers, I could easily guess she must have put away all her emotions.

Like Crow had once said, the people who had given up on everything only had a smile left, I could also understand this.

In fact, the letter she had left behind was short, what was written was as follows:

 

“I don’t know how to describe the anxiety and discomposure I felt when I became pregnant. Even if I understood that I ought to rejoice, my heart was already exhausted. However, I had no choice but to give birth.”

 

It was impossible for me to not understand mother’s loneliness and anxiety as she was forced to abandon her birthplace.

In this situation where the best you could do was to accept reality, if you added to it the fact of becoming pregnant, it was a matter of course you would be mentally driven into a corner.

If I had been an ordinary noble’s daughter, I probably would not have understood. I had been born and raised in this country, at my family’s side. I would never have to face such a situation as being forced to cast away my hometown, and if everything had gone well, I would have married a man who would have been my first love.

But I was repeating the same time over and over. Unable to confide in anyone, never allowed to seize the hand I had asked for help, becoming unable to even breathe, I had been beaten up by a harsh reality.

And that’s why I understood well the feelings of mother, who had to split her chair and blood to conceive a child.

Reality was far too cruel to let her feel just a pure, genuine happiness.

 

“Looking at the face of the baby who was just born, my relief surpassed my joy. But, I thought it was fine like this. Because I had resolved myself to come to terms with reality in my own way.”

 

Mother had written so.

That she had vowed to protect this child and live as she supported her husband.

But fate was irremediably cruel.

           

In mother’s letter, the truth even the author of the novel had not known was written.

I thought that it was a reality hard to accept, for mother but also for anyone else who would have been in her place. For her, it must have been like a bolt out of the blue.

Because at any rate, the princess, who should have officially vowed to separate from father, had set foot in this country once again. This time she wasn’t fleeing a war or seeking asylum. She had crossed the border only to meet father.

Imagining the event that occurred afterward, I inevitably recalled my own past. I recalled when Silvia became pregnant with Soleil’s child, the time when she told me of her pregnancy, the moment when I passed away unable to hold in my arms the child I had given birth to, I recalled these various events.

           

In other words, the princess had conceived father’s child with her own body.

She had given birth to the precious Silvia.   

 

“I stole... Silvia. I stole something from you.

“… Why?”

“Because... even you... you stole.”

 

The weeping voice was probably mine. But the one who was crying was Silvia.

She kept saying, I haven’t done anything, and you too, you wouldn’t do something like that, big sister!

 

“Everything, everything... you stole everything.”

“No, sister... I have not… not stolen anything…!”

 

We were sisters born with a few months of interval. You didn’t need a vast imagination to guess which birthday made father happy. Even from his current devotion, it was crystal clear.

The birth of an illegitimate child would not be celebrated with great pomp.

But in our mansion, it might have been different.

 

“Pretending to be a girl from the street, the princess became pregnant and inconspicuously gave birth to his child. But my husband absolutely didn’t hide Silvia’s existence, he held her up in his arms and cherished her. I remember well the appearance of the princess as she watched over them, as well as their smiles full of satisfaction, as if all the joy in this world had been gathered here.” 

 

The beautiful letters lined up on the pure white paper were slightly crooked.

Mother had been right next to them, watching as father and the princess cuddled together, hugging the little baby preciously. Perhaps in her arms, she was holding the newly born me.  

 

“Silvia, you have stolen... from me… just about everything. You stole. Then, even after this… you will steal everything away from me…!”

 

The reason why it was decided from the beginning that I, the eldest daughter, would have to leave, was for the sake of the sickly Silvia.

The man who would marry Silvia would succeed the house, and in case something were to happen to her, father’s younger brother would inherit the family leadership.

But I had noticed that all of this was only a facade, a front.

Father simply wanted to keep Silvia at hands. He decided to marry me off somewhere in order to detain Silvia in the estate.

For example, even if now, Silvia were to fall in love at first sight with someone in the academy, the situation would not change. That man would enter our family as a son-in-law and inherit the house.

I was born from father and mother, his legal wife, I was raised as a child of nobility, and grew up without experiencing any hardship or inconvenience.

In that way, it was true I had lived a life everyone envied, but in reality, I didn’t have anything. 

 

“Ilya… what the hell happened to you…!”

 

Soleil stretched out his hand. In an effort to grasp my arm, he pushed aside the umbrella held by the servant and approached me.

 

“Do not touch me!!”

 

Do not touch me with this hand.

With this beautiful hand, do not touch this body that had bathed in mother’s blood.

 

“Do not...touch me…!!”

 

I dodged him and took some distance from these two.

My umbrella slipped off my right hand and rolled on the ground, separating me from Soleil as if it was drawing a boundary line.

In the rain that had slightly increased in strength, Soleil was still about to walk toward me. But the slender arm extended behind him didn’t allow him to.

My little sister controlled Soleil with her face drenched in tears. She was about to stop him from approaching me.

“Big brother.” Even amidst the rain drops knocking on the ground, the whisper of Silvia could still clearly be heard. It was a helpless, naïve and soft voice that seemed to coil around you.

Everyone would turn back upon hearing it. As expected, it was Soleil who noticed quicker than anyone else that my little sister had tripped on the mud and was staggering.

I was forced to watch his profile as he embraced my little sister with one of his hands.

           

I knew this hand didn’t exist to hug me. I also understood that this hand was not here to protect me. One day, this hand will choose my beautiful little sister who grew up without being stained by any impurity.

Because there is no way to stop this hand, that had once promised me, “From there on, let’s always get along well,” to drift away and leave me.

 

“I... what on earth... should I... do… how should I live, what should I do... for it to work out… Why... will no one... stay by my side…?”

 

For a second, the sky was dyed white and my sight was blurred.

A few seconds later, thunder resounded.

The rain intensified; the soaked coffin was reflected in the corner of my vision.

My mother, who should no longer felt any pain, seemed to be screaming with a loud voice.

           

With a serene smile, mother, who had surely lived while restraining all her emotions, had spat out her real thoughts at her very last moments.

 

Sorry, Ilya.”

“… I... have... never…”

 

Suffering and agonizing, she spoke with great pain, stopping after every breath, unable to close her eyes.

She wholeheartedly looked at my face, coughing violently as if her breath was heavy like lead.

 

“… I... have... never... been able to love you……”

 

That’s why I couldn’t withdraw my eyes until the moment mother took her last breath.

Because I was hoping that maybe, she would correct those words.

Because I had thought that my mother, who had inhaled one big breath at her last moment, might have laughed and said “I’m joking.”

I was hoping that at the last moment she would declare, “in reality, I love you very much.”

But mother had stopped breathing at that moment.

 

“In reality, from the beginning, I didn’t have anything. Still, under the impression I had everything, I had no other choice but to continue to believe I was loved. Do you understand my feelings?”

“Big sister...”

“Even though I knew I wasn’t loved, I lived, persuading myself that I was, I should be loved… My feelings... can you understand them…?”

 

I embraced my body with both arms. Apart from me, no one would hug me.

Still clinging to Soleil while looking at me, Silvia’s face further distorted, her lips shivering and her whole body shaking.

But... that child... was hiding behind my fiancé.

 

“… … Ilya!!” 

 

I heard father’s voice as he yelled, having distanced himself from the people offering their condolences. He was probably thinking I had made my little sister cry. And this wasn’t false.

           

But, I too, was crying.

           

When I turned my face and saw father, who was quickly coming here, and Al who was running after him, the sky was once again colored white.

A thunder strong enough to make the ground shake rang out.

As I looked up because of the sound that made me wonder if the sky hadn’t been torn in two, black feathers lightly fell down.

           

Unblinking, my eyes followed the fluttering feathers that seemed to be dancing. 

 

“… Crow…”

 

Just as I called out his name, many feathers fell on the ground, dying my field of vision in pure black.

That’s it. It’s fine like this.

If this world could end like this. 

 

“Hey, Crow… where are you?”

 

Closing my eyes, on the other side of that blackness, I heard a voice.

 

“To straighten a thread that has been entangled complicatedly and seems impossible to untie, you can only cut it with a scissor and fix it with a knot.” 


Chapter 32                                               Chapter 34

Nocta’s thoughts:

This chapter disappointed me a bit to tell you the truth. We still don’t know why Ilya’s mother poisoned Silvia while pretending to love her.

It’s understandable she didn’t like Ilya considering how she was forced to have her. But then, she wasn’t forced to love Silvia, so why did she pretend?

And another thing: I felt her trauma is a bit weak compared to how she acted (yandere poisoner).
It is a medieval setting with nobles. She was serving a princess so she must have been a noble too. As an aristocrat, she was raised to be mentally prepared to have a political marriage.
Being the princess’s substitute might have been hard, as well as never being able to see her family again. Well, I don’t believe someone serving a princess would meet their family often anyway.
But she became the wife of an earl and he treated her well, even if he didn’t love her. Okay, the bitch princess broke her promise and had a child, causing some trouble in her household. But it’s not the first time a noble husband has a mistress.
Did it break her heart because she loved her husband? Such a thing was never mentioned, so we don’t know.

So for me, there is not enough justification for her mental break down.
I don’t like her, I hate the father, I hate the bitch princess, Silvia and Soleil pfuff, really, where are the likeable characters in this novel? 
 

41 comments:

  1. It's been a long time i read novel just for suffering... I won't even hope Ilya will get happy ending in this point just let her die in piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tss. She's immortal if all her family die in an accident she inherit. And with this she has an eternity of freedom.
      She can do everything, she has just to take revenge one time, just one time for ending the cycle.

      Delete
    2. But she's not the type of person who will get revenge. She's the masochist (like the readers) suffering type

      Delete
    3. That repeated cycle make her becoming m

      Delete
    4. Tinha esquecido disso, nas histórias só ocorre o renascimento para conseguir se vingar. Estava pensando no q pararia o regresso, mas nunca achei q essa possibilidade podia se encaixar nessa história. Isso é mais difícil para a Ilya do q ter o amor do ML

      Delete
  2. Was she struck by lightning? And there’s 2 ways to view her father shouting “... ... Ilya!!” He’s either worried or hates her, for some reason... I feel like... he’s worried (hope....) since she said she wasn’t loved.

    Also Soleil seems weird when he’s with Silvia, maybe that piston makes people love her? But also harms the body (still thinking about Soleil perspective chapter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I don't know about Soleil... I think you're way too optimistic about the father... his one and only person of importance in his immediate life was Silvia. Any reason he expresses concern over anything is it concerns Silvia, that much has been made clear since the beginning.

      I can't imagine him ever showing concern about Illya... quite the opposite in fact. In short, he is a real one-track mind asshole and prime example of "Love is blind"

      Delete
    2. The father, worried? I won't believe it even for a second!
      As for Soleil, I wonder... once, Ilya said Silvia and her mother had the same smell, and since then I wonder if there is not a special hypnose scent or something...

      Delete
  3. This chapter disappointed me a bit to tell you the truth. We still don’t know why Ilya’s mother poisoned Silvia while pretending to love her.
    It’s understandable she didn’t like Ilya considering how she was forced to have her. But then, she wasn’t forced to love Silvia, so why did she pretend?


    Umm... I think it's obvious though? Silvia was (is) the child of love of her husband. I'm guessing that during their escape from civil war, she had fallen in love with him, it's an easy to imagine situation afterall. To appease her husband or even for the possible chance of gaining a little of his affection, she pretends to love and cherish Silvia.

    At the same time, she hates Silvia for being the child of her husband and the princess. She is reminder that no matter what, the princess was the one that her husband truly loves and she (and Silvia in extend) will always be the center of his universe. Moreover, by Silvie showing up in their household, the chance of her gaining his affection deteriorates even further as with a constant reminder of his "true love" around, there is no way he will ever pays attention to her, at least not in the way she really wants him to.

    Putting it into perspective, the princess was the true villain who probably engineers the entire situation but the father is a willing accomplish of it. On the other hand, Illiya's mother bears the brunt of their crime... is it any wonder why she killed herself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if she has indeed fallen in love with him, I wanted it to be said to us in that chapter! I wanted more concrete information, less description. I know, I know, I'm getting impatient ^^

      Delete
    2. Just imagine if you have your own child but you have to neglect her because your husband prefers you to take care of his other children. So all you can do was to leave your children, no matter how much you want to hold her. I think illya mother also has similar feelings like ilya, who wanted to be loved by her mother. But, her position as a simple maid and substitute for the princess, forced her to abandon her own daughter, and taking care of this shitty little princess, because that is what she is for, a substitute. Maybe..

      Delete
  4. The way I see it is that her mother did love her father. And she hated Ilya because Ilya was just another comparison of what she could never obtain. In the face of the 'happy' family that was the princess and Silva, she could only back off. And the mother hated Silva because Silva was proof of the princess going back on her word. She could have been somewhat happy living in ignorance of what a family was going to be like with the father until the 'true family' proved that it was something she could never attain. And I find that Ilya's mother seems to be someone with a lot of pride. Despite being 'a servant' she was still 'a noble' thus she had certain standards that she, herself, couldn't reach, so she just took the hate out on everyone else. She might have hated herself too, that's why she killed herself... But yeah. I'm kinda scared about the fact that the threads were so tangled... that they need to be cut. It's never going to be the same, so things are moving for sure.
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I really don't like Ilya's mother. Yet I want to keep learn more things about her and the other characters

      Delete
  5. The way I see it is that her mother already had a fiance before she was dragged off by the princess similar to how Ilya's knight also had a fiance but noone bothered to think of that. Her father could have been the fiance or maybe some random noble. Ilya's mother could have basically been forced away from a fiance that she did love by the princess's selfishness and her treatment of Silvia stems from that resentment. When she looks at Ilya she only sees a child born from obligation instead of the one she wanted to have with her original fiance.

    As for why she pretended to like Silvia? it's obvious that a wicked stepmother is only destined to be killed off in a fairy tale. She'd utterly fail the duty she was forced to take if he divorced her in some far off land and possibly left for the kingdom with Silvia in tow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poisoning might have also been timed to happen whenever the father gets tempted to leave to see the princess. It's an effective way to force him to stay where he is.

      Delete
    2. Oh that's quite possible! Nice idea! We don't know how long she has been poisoning Silvia, but there might have been a special timing indeed

      Delete
  6. This is painful.
    I can understand why the mom is doing that crazy stuff now.
    That selfish princess and that father is the real villain .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every chapter of this book made me cry . Truly a masterpiece. I think the poisoning was a for ilya mother to keep the Earl at home. I am still rooting for a happy ending for her she truly deserves it .can't wait for the next update.. hope u will update soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm currently procrastinating! I'll try to translate, I swear!

      Delete
  8. About the poison... I think the implication might be that she was poisoning Silvia on the father's behalf. I think the idea is, Ilya would normally stay in the household as the eldest child, with her husband and children inheriting the family name, while Silvia, as the younger child, would marry out, and leave the household. To stop that from happening, Silvia is continually fed a weak poison, not to kill her, but to make her so frail and fragile that she can't leave the house. She can't go to school, she can't socialise, she can't marry into another family. She would have to stay at home as her father's doll, as a replacement for her mother. That's why, as long as Ilya is there, Silvia is never officially married to anyone, no matter how much healthier she gets. The only exception is when Ilya disappears - perhaps at that point, her father has to allow Silvia to marry Soleil, so as not to dishonour Soleil's much more powerful family? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the father didn't know about the poisoning, he wouldn't allow it. But you're right on the rest, Ilya was definitively in the way of the father since he wanted to keep Silvia.

      Delete
  9. I somehow feel happy because many of my assumptions have kinda been proofed but at the same time I wanted way more to happen in this chapter. I was so happy when it was indicated that crow is here.Crow, save our pitiful Ilya asap!!
    I'm so happy to see Ilya be honest and tell Silva her true feelings. It feels like with that she might find the will to live and try again. I don't think that anybody is going to believe her about the drug but she might proof it by forcing somebody to drink a lot of it although I really don't think that is going to happen anyway.
    With those few differences in this life I wonder if Soleil was trying to help her or if he was condemning her like the father. I want to hope but I have already lost to much.
    Not sure what the last sentence is supposed to mean but it sounds like a restart to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know about Soleil, he was just standing there, being useless. I was surprised when Ilya told him not to touch her, not because she was hating him but because she had been dirtied by her mother's blood. How can she still love him after all this... poor child

      Delete
  10. I dropped this novel a while ago and thought I'd come back and see if anything changed in the latest chapter. It's interesting but still feels like walking through mud with how depressing it is though.
    I shall go back and catch up now~
    Thanks for the chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This arc ends at chapter 40, so maybe net time, wait till there to read all in one go!

      Delete
  11. Not disappointed because this proves that Ilya was right when she said she wasn't loved. Some commenters had said that she was exaggerating or that she didn't know the whole story.
    Also I thing that not only the father doesn't love her, he hates her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum I don't know, he sounded so indifferent to me. And you know how they say indifference is worse than hate?

      Delete
  12. Ah... Truly bad ending for this lifetime. She died. Who killed her? Her so called father? Her steward? Her fiancee? Or her sister? Dang... Probably the thunder from the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don' t think she will die yet. She probably won't until the end of this arc, but strange things might happen

      Delete
  13. Mother pretended to care for Silvia because father would be angry if mother made things difficult for Silvia.

    Poor Illya unwanted by the world since before her birth. Before this chapter I thought Illya was to make the mother look pregnant then be killed off and replaced with Silvia but it was entirely doable during that time period to just have Silvia and declared the legitimate daughter with no one the wiser and they could avoid Illya altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mother pretended to care for Silvia because father would be angry if mother made things difficult for Silvia.

    Poor Illya unwanted by the world since before her birth. Before this chapter I thought Illya was to make the mother look pregnant then be killed off and replaced with Silvia but it was entirely doable during that time period to just have Silvia and declared the legitimate daughter with no one the wiser and they could avoid Illya altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, but maybe Silvia's colors were too noticeable? Or the father and the princess had the slightest bit of human compassion and thought they couldn't kill the maid's child after all she did for them?

      Delete
  15. I hope everyone in this novel dies from excessive guilt trips. Except Ilya, her gold haired friend and Al

    Tyvm for the translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they are all already living in hell, who knows?

      Delete
  16. Why she poisoned? I think she have been conflict between her emotion. Ít have been written thật she hold smt important and then the selfish princess make up side down - the person she loyalty

    ReplyDelete
  17. That b* Silvia is just like her selfish mother while Ilya suffers a similar but worse fate with hers. How dare Silvia act like a unsuspecting victim while accusing her of stealing literal f* tea at her mother's funeral, grab her fiance to stop him from talking to Ilya, and hide behind Soleil and her father as if it's a matter of course. I hope to god someone in the novel calls Silvia out on this BS and she isn't given a free pass bc she's sick or sheltered or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think her mother, nah, let's still call her womb. I think that womb was actually kinda alright with the situation until shit princess came, got pregnant and left her child with womb and sperm donor.
    At least I think that until that point she was still doing ok. She might have been depressed and stuff, but the letter said she resolved herself to love her child.

    I don't think she loved sperm donor or anything, but she was basically forced to marry him by order of a piece of shit, a piece of shit that then broke her promise and slept with the man she forced womb to marry. She had no say in the matter, those two basically walked all over her and didn't give a single shit. She was forced to give up on her country, her family, friends she might have had, all due to being the maid a princess took when a civil war broke out... I guess is kinda like someone gives you a free meal, you start eating it, then they come back, take it from you, eat, spit on it and give it back to you. Only you didn't even want the food to begin with.

    Still, I won't forgive womb. She made her own child get so twisted she can barely help herself to save her own life.

    My guess is that womb acted like she loved Shitvia, because sperm donor only cared about piece of shit princess and Shitvia. Getting on the good side of Shitvia meant sperm donor wouldn't be suspicious of womb. Sylvia was weak as a child/baby, so she could have kept her that way by "taking care" of her and poisoning her little by little. Then at some point Shitvia would die, sperm donor would be really depressed and piece of shit princess would be depressed when she got the news (probably.) It's her revenge against the ones she couldn't do anything against (though she could have done a lot.)

    Just like Illya should do, she should have done things on the side, built up a good amount of power and then have the earl assassinated or something. Maybe Shitvia and piece of shit as well.

    Legend:
    Womb= shitty Earl's wife
    Sperm donor= shitty Earl
    Shitvia=little (piece of shit) sister
    piece of shit princess= princess of another country aka. a giant cunt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this was really sad... still, I also agree that there wasn't enough justification

    that part where ilya just broke down and cried hit really different though... It's been the first time she's shown her real feelings ever since

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is it just me who wants to pull out her hair and smash everything that's close when I read the words 'Big sister' it fucking irks me so much knowing that trashy sickly silvia is talking like, ilya keeps saying its not silvia's fault for for falling in love with soleil but we all damn know that she knew he was ilya's fiance, unless she was MENTALLY ill as opposed to being physically ill, she IS AT FAULT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wasnt the reason mother poisoned her so that she could stay by their side forever? I think it was explained?

    ReplyDelete